Division of Zoning Enforcement
30 Montgomery Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Tel: (201) 547-4832
Fax: (201) 547-5145
Nick Taylor, Zoning Officer
The Division of Zoning:
- Enforces and Interprets Chapter 345 – Land Development Ordinance along with Jersey City’s current use of the Master Plan
- Enforces decisions made by the Zoning Board of Adjustment, Planning Board, Historic Preservation Commission and in some cases, Municipal and Superior Court
- Reviews all construction plans, permit applications and Certificate of Occupancy applications for Zoning compliance
- Inspects construction projects for compliance with approved plans prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy
- Regulates all land use requirements, including, but not limited to fence and building height, lot dimensions, building setbacks, parking, landscaping, lighting and signage.
Anyone buying property, starting a business or questioning the legality of a particular use, parking space or any other condition enforced under Chapter 345, should contact the Zoning Division, where our knowledgeable staff will be happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have.
The Division of Zoning Enforcement is a member of the Mayor's Quality of Life Task Force.
The Division of Zoning is
often your first stop in the process of building, renovating, starting a
new business or buying a new home.
We enforce and interpret the
Jersey City Land Use (Zoning) Ordinance as well as several dozen Jersey City
Land Use, simply stated, is that
which a particular piece of property is used for, whether permitted
or not and conforming or not.
A simple phone call is
usually the first step in determining if you need Zoning assistance and
we can be reached at (201) 547-4832.
- If you’re building or renovating you need Zoning
- If you’re starting a new business you need
- If you’re buying a new home you may need Zoning
- If you need a Certificate of Occupancy you need
- If you need a Zoning Determination Letter you
need our assistance
In every one of the above
situations you must provide the following:
- A photograph of
the property in question
- A sealed
survey is required for new construction
- A complete set of
architectural plans is required for construction
- A company
check or money order for $100 payable to the City of
- A detailedwritten request on letter head for all Zoning Determination Letters
We have ten (10) business
days to process your requests but in many cases are able to provide a response
within five (5) days.
* Construction Plans
must include a Zoning Comparison Chart as well as a front yard
setback schematic for new buildings.
** In cases where Zoning
Board or Planning Board approval will be required, the applicant
will be notified in writing.
Business Licensing and Permitting Process Survey
If you have gone through the permitting and licensing process in Jersey City in the last 6 months, please click here
to fill out our survey to give us feedback on how we can improve it.