Division of Commerce
382 MLK Drive
Jersey City, NJ 07305
Tel: (201) 547-5139
Fax: (201) 547-5585
Maynard Woodson, Director
Under §3-82.1 of the Jersey City Municipal Code, the Division of Commerce issues various business licenses and conducts various enforcement activities:
- Issue city licenses and collect such fees as approved by the Board of Alcoholic Beverage Control
- Review applications for taxi driver hack licenses and bus driver hack licenses
- Review applications for permits for the operation of taxicabs
- Supervise the collection of franchise taxes payable to the City of Jersey City
- Administer the insurance requirements of the New Jersey Department of Insurance relating to taxicabs and buses
- Conduct hearings on complaints against holders of taxicabs and bus licenses
- Perform all the functions authorized in Chapter 319, Towers and Towing
- Review applications for public weighmasters
- Conduct various inspections and testing, including but not limited to:
- The inspection, testing, adjusting and the sealing or condemnation of all commercial scales and measuring devices in use by wholesale and retail establishments
- The testing and sealing of gasoline pumps
- The calibration of fuel tank trucks.
- The testing of liquid measures, oil meters, laundry scales, heavy-duty truck scales and all types of scales and measuring devices in general use.
- The investigation and reporting on applications for public weighmasters.
- The investigation of complaints of violations and presentation of evidence thereof in municipal courts.
- The issuance of solid fuel and live poultry licenses.
- Conduct mechanical inspections of taxicabs and buses
HEDC's Division of Commerce is also a member of the Mayor's Quality of Life Task Force.
Business Licensing and Permitting Process Survey
If you have gone through the permitting and licensing process in Jersey City in the last 6 months, please click here
to fill out our survey to give us feedback on how we can improve it.