Division of Commerce
382 MLK Drive
Jersey City, NJ 07305
Tel: (201) 547-5139
Fax: (201) 547-5585
Maynard Woodson, Director
Under §3-82.1 of the Jersey City Municipal Code, the Division of Commerce issues various business licenses and conducts various enforcement activities:
- Issue city licenses and collect such fees as approved by the Board of Alcoholic Beverage Control
- Review applications for taxi driver hack licenses and bus driver hack licenses
- Review applications for permits for the operation of taxicabs
- Supervise the collection of franchise taxes payable to the City of Jersey City
- Administer the insurance requirements of the New Jersey Department of Insurance relating to taxicabs and buses
- Conduct hearings on complaints against holders of taxicabs and bus licenses
- Perform all the functions authorized in Chapter 319, Towers and Towing
- Review applications for public weighmasters
- Conduct various inspections and testing, including but not limited to:
- The inspection, testing, adjusting and the sealing or condemnation of all commercial scales and measuring devices in use by wholesale and retail establishments
- The testing and sealing of gasoline pumps
- The calibration of fuel tank trucks.
- The testing of liquid measures, oil meters, laundry scales, heavy-duty truck scales and all types of scales and measuring devices in general use.
- The investigation and reporting on applications for public weighmasters.
- The investigation of complaints of violations and presentation of evidence thereof in municipal courts.
- The issuance of solid fuel and live poultry licenses.
- Conduct mechanical inspections of taxicabs and buses
HEDC's Division of Commerce is also a member of the Mayor's Quality of Life Task Force.
Online Help Center Service Requests
Report illegal activity or make a complaint against an Auto Repair Shop
Report illegal activity or make a complaint against an Entertainment venue
Report illegal activity or make a complaint against a Liquor License holder
Report illegal activity or make a complaint against a Tow Truck operator
Make a complaint against a Taxicab company or operator
Make a complaint against a Limousine company or operator
Make a complaint against a Laundromat
Make a complaint against a Sidewalk Cafe
Make a complaint against a store's Weight Scales
Business Licensing and Permitting Process Survey
If you have gone through the permitting and licensing process in Jersey City in the last 6 months, please click here
to fill out our survey to give us feedback on how we can improve it.