Division of City Planning
30 Montgomery Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Tel: (201) 547-5010
Fax: (201) 547-4323
Robert Cotter, PP, FAICP, Director
The Division of City Planning maintains a staff of licensed professional planners and trained experts who are responsible for comprehensively planning the rational development of land in the City, including but not limited to:
- Responsible for administering and providing staff support to the Planning Board (PB), Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZB) and Historic Preservation Commission (HPC)
- Processes, reviews and comments on development applications to the PB, ZB and HPC
- Evaluates Master Plan and Land Development Ordinance
- Prepares Redevelopment Needs Analysis and Redevelopment Plans
- Solicits community input for development and transportation plans
- Provides information to the public and to regional planning agencies
- Maintains city census data profile and GIS
- Provides information on Flood Zones and FEMA designation letters
- Prepares transportation plans (pedestrian, bicycle, vehicular, rail)
- Prepares applications for funding for planning studies and transportation projects
- Solicits and oversees planning consultants
View Redevelopment Plans here. (Link will be restored shortly)
Coastal Flooding Solutions Information & Public Comment
Didn't Have A Chance To Make It To The 7/30 Meeting @ City Hall? No Problem! See The Coastal Flooding Solutions Page & Leave A Comment Or Download Information Here!
Community Assets & Flood Map
For more information on Jersey City's diverse community assets as well as the flood maps for all parts of the city see Jersey City Characteristics – RC 100 Application.
Jersey City Wants Your Opinion
On Public Transportation in Liberty State Park!
The City of Jersey City is exploring potential improvements to public transportation that serves destinations in and near Liberty State Park. We want to hear from you!
To take a brief survey or for more information on the study, please visit www.lsptransitstudy.com.
Jersey City is a Leader When it Comes to Moving Beyond The Automobile!
This short documentary by Streetfilms.org highlights the livability of Transit-Oriented Developments. Focusing on the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail system and its positive impacts on the growth of walk-able, sustainable neighborhoods in Jersey City and Hudson County, it features Jersey City’s Planning Director, Bob Cotter.
General Development Application
For all Development requiring review and approval by the Jersey City Planning Board or Zoning Board of Adjustment, a General Development Application must be submitted to the Division of City Planning. Download Full Application here.
Zoning and Redevelopment Area Map
View map here.
Land Development Ordinance
View the Zoning Code here.
Regional Waterfront Access and Downtown Circulation Study
This study is intended to:
- Identify specific deficiencies in the transportation network
- Identify opportunities for mobility improvements
- Make recommendations for specific projects that will facilitate access to downtown
Jersey City - Review the study.
Jersey City Master Plan
1 - Jersey City Master Plan 2000 Vol. 1 of 2
2 - Jersey City Master Plan 2000 Vol. 2 of 2
3 - Master Plan Land Use Map
4 - Park & Circulation Amendments
5 - Cator Avenue Map Amendment
6 - MWORD Overlay Re-Examination Report 12-27-2004
7 - Reexamination Report 12-02-2005
8 - Master Plan Amendment Historic 12-20-2005
9 - R-1 A Master Plan Re-examination Report 11-13-2006
10 - R-1A Amendments to the Jersey City Master Plan
11 - R-1F Master Plan Re-examination Report 07-31-2007
12 - R-1F Amendments to the Jersey City Master Plan 07-31-2007
13 - Jersey City Recreation Master Plan
14 - Stormwater Management Plan Master Plan Amendment - To review a copy of this Element,
contact the Division of City Planning or the JCMUA.
15 – Master Plan Circulation Element
“Unofficial Handbook: Circulation Element Master Plan”
A guide to be used as an introduction and summary to the Circulation Element of the Master Plan. This handbook is not intended to serve as a proxy for the Circulation Element, and readers are encouraged to refer to the Circulation Element below for full details of all items addressed by these chapters.
The Jersey City Master Plan's Circulation Element was adopted on April 14, 2009 and was amended on July 14, 2009; December 1, 2009; and June 14, 2011. Please read the amended Circulation Element below:
Circulation Element: Cover
Circulation Element: Part 1
Circulation Element: Part 2
Circulation Element: Part 3.1 - 3.2
Circulation Element: Part 3.3 - 3.4
Circulation Element: Part 4.1 - 4.3
Circulation Element: Part 4.4
Circulation Element: Part 4.5 - 4.6
Circulation Element: Part 4.7 - 5.2
Appendices: Part 1
Appendices: Part 2
Appendices: Part 3
Appendices: Part 4
Appendices: Part 5
16 - Reexamination Report 02-11-2011
17 - Master Plan Amendment Landmark List 02-15-2011