|Ward D (The Heights) Councilman
City Hall, 280 Grove Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Tel: (201) 547-5485
Fax: (201) 547-4678
Eileen Gaughan, Council Aide
Tel: (201) 456-3970
Term of office
First elected to council: May 11, 1993
Current term expires: June 30, 2013
Councilman Gaughan was born in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. to Anthony James Gaughan of Gladree, Belmullet, County Mayo, Ireland and Bridget Kennedy Gaughan of Cross, Belmullet, County Mayo, Ireland. He married Bernadette Krull in 1969 and they are the parents of two girls, Bridget and Eileen.
He attended St. Mary's High School in Wilkes-Barre and Rutgers State University in Newark, New Jersey, where he received a Bachelor of Science degree in Management. He also attended the American Academy McAllister Institute of Funeral Service.
Prior to becoming a councilman, he worked as a pipefitter and Assistant Supervisor at Western Electric Company in Kearny, before pursuing his current profession, working as an Apprentice Funeral Director for the Beddiges-Seitz Home for Funerals and the Houghton Funeral Home in Jersey City, where he is now President and Funeral Director.
First elected to the City Council in 1993, Councilman Gaughan is now serving his fifth term as Ward D Councilman. He also serves as Chief of Staff to Hudson County Executive Thomas A. DeGise.
Among his many community activities:
- 1976-1979 President of St. Anne's Parish Council
- 1979-1985 Secretary and Treasurer of St. Anne's Home School Association
- 1978-1979 Vice President, Hudson County Federation of Holy Name Societies
- 19S3-1992 President of the St. Vincent DePaul Society of St. Anne's Church
- 1987-1988 Zone Chairman, Zone 1, Lions International District 16A
- 1988-1989 Deputy District Governor, Region 1, Lions International District 16A
- 1987-1990 President, Holy Name Society
- 1990-1993 President, Hudson Hospice Inc. Board of Directors
- 1992-1993 Vice President, Board of Directors Central Avenue Special Improvement District Management Corp.
- 1993-1997 Councilman - Jersey City Municipal Council
- 1997-2001 Re-elected Second four year term as Councilman -Jersey City Municipal Council
- 2001-2005 Re-elected Third four year term as Councilman- Jersey City Municipal Council
- 2005-2009 Re-elected Fourth four year term as Councilman- Jersey City Municipal Council
- 2002-2007 Chairman, New Jersey City Democratic Committee
- Chief of Staff to Hudson County Executive Thomas A. DeGise
Among the awards the councilman has received:
- Lion of the Year 1977 and 1984
- Heights Pride Citizen of the Year 1988
- Jersey City Irishman of the Year 1991
- Melvin Jones Fellow 1991 Lions Club International (Highest award in Lionism)
- Hudson Hospice Inc. Award 1992
Initiatives against crime
New North District Police station
Improvement of all City and County parks