Applying for Marriage and Civil Union License
One of the applicants must be a resident of Jersey City.
If applicants are non-residents of New Jersey, the application must be made in the municipality where the ceremony will take place.
▪ The license will be issued 72 hours after the application has been made.
▪ The license is valid for 30 days from date of issuance.
▪ The license is valid only in the State of New Jersey.
Application fee - $28.00 (cash only)
Ceremony fee - Appointments can be made at the time of application
City Hall and Municipal Court (cash only)
Residents - $52.00
Non-Residents - $72.00
Applicants must provide:
▪ Passport or birth certificate and photo identification
▪ Proof of current address (e.g. driver’s license)
▪ Proof of Social Security Number
▪ If an applicant has been previously married, dissolution papers or death certificates must be submitted.
▪ If applying for a Remarriage/Reaffirmation of Civil Union you must bring a certified copy of the previous Marriage/Civil Union.
▪ Must know applicants for at least six months.
▪ Must be over eighteen (18) years old.
▪ Must provide proof of current residence.